The Omnibus Rule was introduced in 2013 as a way to amend the HIPAA privacy and security rules requirements, including changes to the obligations of business associates regarding the management of PHI.
The rule merges the following four separate rule makings:
- Amendments to HIPAA Privacy and Security rules requirements
- HIPAA and HIPAA HITECH under one rule now
- Further requirements for data breach notifications and penalty enforcement
- Approving the regulations in regards to the HITECH Act’s breach notification rule
The Omnibus rule includes regulations that will:
- Manage the use of patient information in marketing
- Includes a provision that requires healthcare providers to report data breaches that are deemed not harmful
- Makes certain that business associates and subcontractors are liable for their own breaches and requires Business Associates to comply with HIPAA
Although all healthcare institutions had to make changes and adhere to the Omnibus Rule when it was implemented, this checklist provides you with an easy way to evaluate compliance on a periodic basis.
A little info about Process Street
Process Street is superpowered checklists. By using our software to document your processes, you are instantly creating an actionable workflow in which tasks can be assigned to team members, automated, and monitored in real-time to ensure they are being executed as intended, each and every time.
The point is to minimize human error, increase accountability, and provide employees with all of the tools and information necessary to complete their tasks as effectively as possible.