The organization shall determine external and internal issues that are relevant to its
purpose and that affect its ability to achieve the intended outcomes of its environmental
Such issues shall include environmental conditions being affected by or capable of affecting the organization.
Understanding the Organization and its Context
In accordance with the first step of implementing ISO 9001 requirements, the purpose of this section is to thoughtfully align the business objectives of Brightstar Marketing with the QMS.
To fully understand the organization and its context, Brightstar Marketing determined the external and internal issues that are relevant and that affect its ability to achieve intended results.
Profit margins have exceeded milestones this previous quarter, and a survey of workplace happiness has yielded a worker satisfaction ratio of above 80%.
Brightstar is the longest-running marketing agency in the local area. Strong internal processes are reflected in the Net Promoter Score (NPS), and a high level of proprietary data gathered as a result of our consensual data gathering initiative over the past year positions us advantageously to potential upcoming GDPR regulation affecting EU data gathering.
However, unresolved compliance issues and a number of dated internal procedures pose potential risks in the face of upcoming GDPR regulation. It has also been noted that more of our clients are opting to insource for certain compliance-related needs.
In response to this, recent SWOT analysis suggests budgeting for GDPR consultant and movement towards international compliance in order to position ourselves ahead of new internal teams.
Capacity for video marketing and a campaign targeting upcoming ISO standard revisions as well as promising keywords will allow us to stave competition and maintain a local market share advantage.
Strategies for Knowledge Graph ranking have also been proposed, due to certain keywords being demoted by Google’s preference for SERP Knowledge Graphs.
Complete SWOT breakdown can be found in the SWOT analysis section below.
- New multi-million contract just signed
- New hire: Environmental Manager
- Unresolved compliance issues
- Certain procedures yet to be updated
- Competitor bidding for same contract
- Supply chain optimization
- Poor brand image
- Pound Sterling weakening post-Brexit
- On-site regulation
Needs and Expectations of Interested Parties
Interested parties may be customers, owners, suppliers, unions, bankers, etc. and to understand their needs and expectations, you must:
- Identify the relevant interested parties
- Determine, monitor, and review their requirements that are Relevant to the QMS
- Consider their expectations and needs and the impact on the ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer, statutory, and regulatory requirements
List of interested parties:
- Jill Catalan, CEO at Isla Villa Construction
- James Ford, Founder & CTO at Looper
- Black Mesa Corporation (biggest customer)
- Process Street (used internally for workflow management and automation)
- Lond & Sons (outsourced accounting, tax, and finance consulting)
- Hubspot (used internally for CRM, inbound marketing and sales)
- Toro Construction Company (biggest local competitor)
Determining the Scope of the Environmental Management System
During the establishment of the context of the organization, all members of top and middle management were gathered together and the management requirements for the standard, as well as how these requirements affected the EMS, were explained.
- Planning & Management
- Daily Standup Meeting Checklist (PR. 07)
- Sprint Turnover Process (PR. 11)
- Sprint Retrospective Process (PR. 12)
- Sprint Planning (PR. 13)
- Branding & Style Guides
- Brand Identity Design (PR. 14)
- Content Creation
- Blog Pre-Publish Checklist (PR. 18)
- Content Promotion Checklist (PR. 19)
- Graphic Design
- Graphic Design Process (PR. 15)
- Logo Design Process (PR. 17)
- Digital Marketing & SEO
- PPC Audit Checklist (PR. 01)
- PPC Daily Campaign Review Checklist (PR. 02)
- PPC Weekly Campaign Review Checklist (PR. 03)
- PPC Monthly Campaign Review Checklist (PR. 04)
- Performance Marketing (PPC) Keyword Competition Analysis Checklist (PR. 05)
- New Facebook Ads Creation Checklist (PR. 06)
- SEO Checklist: The Keyword Research Process (PR. 08)
- Google Analytics Audit (PR. 09)
- Technical SEO Audit (PR. 10)
- New Affiliate Onboarding (PR. 20)
- Process Optimization
- Intro to FMEA Template: Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PR. 21)
- Process for Improving a Process (PR. 22)
- Accounting & Finances
- Creating an Invoice (PR. 16)
- Accounting Onboarding Procedures (PR. 23)
- Expense Management Process (PR. 24)
- Accounts Receivable Process (PR. 25)
- Accounts Payable Process (PR. 26)
- Income (Profit and Loss) Statement Process (PR. 27)
- Cash Flow Report (PR. 28)
- Balance Sheet Statement Preparation Checklist (PR. 29)
- Business Tax Preparation Checklist (PR. 30)
- Annual Financial Report Template (PR. 31)
It was determined that the first step towards establishing the requirements for the EMS would be to conduct a SWOT analysis.
All relevant parties from middle and top management conducted the SWOT analysis individually, and results were consolidated into a final master analysis.
Below is the final SWOT analysis:
Environmental Management System
The EMS has been established at the organization since October 2018 and has been
maintained to the international standard ISO 14001:2015 since this time.
Continuous improvement has been achieved via a Plan, Do, Check, Act framework.
An environmental review is conducted 1 year ahead of re-certification to determine any changes to the organization which may affect the intended outcomes of the EMS.
The review will include an assessment to determine any changes to the internal and external context in which it operates and the changing needs and expectations of interested parties.