There are two ways to get started making templates. The first is to start from scratch with a Blank Template, and the second is to start from a Premade Template from our template gallery.
Users: In order to create or edit templates you must be an Administrator or a Member who has been given ‘can edit’ access by your Administrator.
Making a new blank template
To make a new blank template, start in your template dashboard and click the blue “New Template” button at the top left of your screen.
Next, select “New Blank Template” from the bottom of the pop-out window. Give your template a name and a description (optional), then save changes to your template, as shown below.
If you don’t see the “New Template” button, you may have collapsed the left-hand menu. Click “Show menu” to open it up again.
If you still don’t see the “New Template” button, you may not have permission to create templates, so please reach out to your administrator to give you access.
Add tasks and headings
Next you can add tasks and headings into your template. Headings are the stages or segments of your process, whilst Tasks are the actual steps that are involved in implementing your process.
Click “Edit template” from the right of your screen to access the template editor.
In the bottom left of your screen you will see this menu:
Click “Task” or “Heading” to add these into your template. Click “Duplicate” to copy a task or heading.
Use the up/down arrows to re-order your headings and tasks, or drag and drop them to move them into position.
Click the trashcan icon to delete a heading or task.
- You can also add new tasks by hitting your Enter / Return key, or remove an empty task by hitting your Backspace / Delete key
- Transform tasks into headings (and vice versa) by adding or removing a colon : at the end of the item
- Re-order your headings and tasks by mousing over them on the left side, then drag and drop them into place
- Copy tasks (and any content within them) by clicking the “Duplicate” button
- Select multiple separate tasks and headings by holding your CMD or CTRL key and clicking on each item you’d like to select, or use the SHIFT key to select a group of tasks
- Set up an Approval task in your process by using the “Approval” button in the lower left-hand menu bar
- Multi-select tasks and headings by using the CMD or CTRL key
Save changes to your template when you have finished editing. Now you can run checklists straight away or start building another template.
This creates a basic template and simple checklists, however Process Street’s features let you build in rich content, branching paths and much more. Follow our 5 stages of process building to add more features and functions in your new template.
Using a premade template
Once the gallery is open, you can search the template library by typing a keyword or phrase into the search box, or click on a category from the menu on the left.
The gallery shows a selection of templates relating to your search. Each one shows an image and a short description for each template, to help you decide which one to use.
To use a template, click one of the cards shown in the gallery. This opens the template and adds it to your template dashboard. If you opened the template gallery while inside a folder, the template will be added to that folder.
Now you can look through the whole template to see all the tasks and content it contains. You can run checklists straight away or, since Premade templates are completely customizable, you can edit the template to suit your specific needs.
Add more features and functions
You can add extra functionality and powerful features when you edit premade templates, or templates that you have built from scratch.