In this episode of the Business Systems Explored podcast, Tony Brown the author of Standard Procedure and Vinay Patankar from Process Street, have an in-depth discussion about the most effective content promotion methods for their businesses.
You can spend as much time as you like creating content, but it’s a massive waste of time if you aren’t promoting it. It’s not 1999. You can’t artificially game search engines to get huge visibility or spam newsletters to push your content out to thousands of people. You can’t even hope to get discovered organically if you don’t already have a following. And that’s the problem we’re trying to solve in this podcast.
In this episode, we run through every promotion tactic that’s helped build Process Street to a blog that gets over 100,000 monthly pageviews, and ranked highly for some of the more competitive keywords in our niche.
Discover the ‘silver bullet’ we swear by, and the tactic that has spiked our traffic by over 15,000 in a single day. Did you know there is actually a way to use social sites to generate traffic as consistently as organic methods? Find out all about that and more in this week’s episode.
Links to listen
And remember, if you like the show, please leave us a review and rating. 🙂
Quote to Tweet
“It’s not 1999. If all you do is write content and expect it to be found, you’re in for a bad time.” (tweet this)
- Our content promotion process — what happens after you hit publish?
- Signs you haven’t got your content strategy down
- An example of a content strategy that will fail
- Why spending 70% of your time on promotion is a smart choice
- Making checklists out of the whole promotion process and outsourcing it
- Why startups don’t have to double as media outlets
- How many hours you should spend creating and promoting content per piece
- When you don’t have to bother with promotion so much
- Creating an SOP to run every time you create content
- Deciding what to promote, and what to leave out
- The ‘trick’ to content promotion — our silver bullet
- All the kinds of different content you create
- Using VAs in your content promotion process
- Getting a 15k view traffic spike in one day
- Getting consistent traffic out of social bookmarking sites
- A tool to push out tons of Pinterest content
- How to steal our killer outreach strategy
- Groove’s insane strategy for getting to 1000 subscribers
- Getting consistent, automatic backlinks with no extra effort
- Using Medium and LinkedIn Pulse to leverage an existing audience
- Can syndication hurt your SEO?
- What to syndicate, and what never to syndicate
- The what, why, and how of repurposing content
- Valuable lessons on repurposing from Close.io CEO Steli Efti
- Using Quora to hijack the rankings of high-traffic keywords
- An awesome template for Quora answers that drive traffic
- Why it’s worth spending time on organic methods (and why paid methods aren’t as viable for startups)
TOOLS AND MENTIONS
- The Advanced Content Promotion Checklist: https://www.process.st/content-marketing-checklist/
- Process Street: https://www.process.st
- Buffer: https://buffer.com
- Asana: https://asana.com
- Trello: http://trello.com
- Google Docs: https://www.google.com/docs/about/
- Viraltag: https://www.viraltag.com
- Groove: groovehq.com/
- Quora: https://quora.com