It’s 9:00 am.
I grab my morning coffee.
Boot-up my laptop and join the 1 billion others logging into Google Drive today.
Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs; it’s all there.
Suffice to say, as a content writer my Google Docs templates are the veritable pillars of my content creation process.
Oh, thank you, Google Docs templates…
But that’s not all there is to it.
Despite the wealth of convenience my Google Docs templates allow me, I wouldn’t be half the writer I am today if it wasn’t for Process Street.
What I mean to say is, I’ve built up an extremely efficient writing process that combines the convenient templates of Google Docs (via Google Drive) and the clear processes and convenient automation of Process Street.
By integrating Process Street + Google Drive into a simple, repeatable process for content creation, I know I can work productively and consistently meet my content writer duties.
Process Street + Google Drive = Success
…and in this article, I will show you how you can recreate my process, and build your own streamlined automations.
Click on the subheader below to jump to the relevant section. Alternatively read all and take a well-deserved moment to learn how to improve and refine your business processes.
- What is a Google Docs template?
- Google Docs templates: How to use Google Docs
- Google Docs templates: The benefits of Google Docs
- Integrate Process Street with Google Docs for an all-in-one collaborative and productive process
- 50 Google Docs templates
- Integrate Process Street + Google Docs to run smooth and efficient processes
What is a Google Docs template?
Simply put, a Google Docs template is a blueprint for quickly and easily creating documents based on pre-set parameters and structure. For example, you might have a Google Docs template for planning a blog article, with all of the typical sections you’d need to fill out to facilitate that plan. It’s basically a tool you can use to automate part of your writing process.
Google Docs is one of the many tools you have access too on creating a Google Drive account. As stated by Edward Mendelsohn from PC Magazine speaking on the Google Drive suite:
Google Docs is completely free, and is primarily a web-based application that stores and creates documents on the cloud. Text documents, slide presentations, spreadsheets, drawings, and surveys; you name it, these can all be created using Google Docs.
It’s also a powerful collaboration tool, allowing multiple simultaneous edits in real time across a single file, making it especially suited to remote teams.
Since 2006, the web-based application has been continuously improved upon and polished into a refined document management system.
Every organization needs business processes
It is here that we determine what Google Docs is as opposed to what Google Docs is not.
Google Docs is a sublime document writing tool. Writing reports, C.V’s, invoices or project proposals has never been easier. It is part of the G Suite. A suite perfectly suited for document management. But Google Docs is not applicable for process management.
Think about it. Your business processes are an ever-changing, dynamic, interacting network of tasks. Tasks to be completed in a specific order, by specific personnel, at specific times, to get a specific job done. To incorporate something like a Google Docs .doc file into a business process, you need a proper system in place to facilitate automation and integrate these static components together.
So what do we do?
Introducing Process Street.
Process Street is a top Business Process Management (BPM) tool. You can manage your business processes using our refined, adaptable and dynamic checklists. Once more, you can combine Google Docs within your business processes by setting up a Process Street + Google Docs integration.
How to do this is simple:
- Write your business process
- Document your business process as a checklist
- Integrate your Google Docs account with Process Street
- Profit the benefits of faster and more efficient processes and document management
At the end of this article, you will be able to just that
First up, let’s find out how you can write and document your processes with Process Street.
What is process documentation? How to use Process Street to document your processes
Process documentation is a detailed description of how you can execute a process. With a documented process the exact steps needed to complete a process from start to finish, are outlined.
With Process Street, these exact steps are recorded in a checklist format.
There has been a lot of work detailing the profound benefits checklists bring to business (read: The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande). Using Process Street you can incorporate this checklist approach to document your business processes.
To exemplify how, take a look at our New Employee Onboarding Checklist, detailed below
As you can see from this Employee Onboarding Checklist, every step during the employee onboarding process has been documented. The user can simply click on this checklist, and run through each step, checking off tasks on completion. At a certain stage in the process, the user may need to create a Google Docs .doc file.
For instance, in the above Employee Onboarding Checklist, task three: Prepare Paperwork, there is the need to gather the employee’s information.
This is where Google Docs comes in.
By combining Google Docs with your Process Street checklists, you can create the documents you need at the click of a button. In this instance, the user can prepare paperwork by setting up an integration between Process Street and Google Docs. Once task 3 is checked as complete, all employee information can be transferred from the Process Street template into a Google Docs document.
Keep reading and we will show you how you can set this integration up. We will also provide every Google Docs template you will ever need, along with the related business processes to help you make the most of them.
Google Docs templates: How to use Google Docs
Mouses at the ready!
For those of you who are new to the Google Docs platform, have no fear, Process Street is here. Below we have detailed our 3-step process, helping you set up a Google Docs account and understand the ground rules.
Step 1: Create a document
Open Google Doc’s home screen. In the top left corner, under Start a new document, click Blank +.
Step 2: Edit and format
Once your new document is open, you can type and edit as required. Edit text, paragraphs, spacing and more.
Here are some links for you
- Find out how to change paragraphs and fonts here
- Find out how to add a title or table of contents here
Step 3: Share and work with others
Sharing is caring, and you can share files and folders using Google Docs. Select whether the user can edit, view, or comment on your documents.
On top of these three steps, the true value of Google Docs comes with the implementation of the app’s core intrinsic features, listed below:
- Talk instead of type: Say bye-bye to butter-fingers and hello to Google Doc’s in-built voice typing tool. With this feature, words will populate your Google Docs document as you speak. To use this feature, go to Tools > Voice typing. On the right-hand side of your Google Chrome screen, a microphone will appear. Toggle the microphone to control voice activation as required.
- Clear formatting: Text can easily be highlighted and edited to alter font and font size. Remove formatting from pasted text via highlighting the text, and selecting Clear formatting
- Suggestion mode: Stop, collaborate, and listen. Entering edit mode will track alterations as they are made. Opportunity is also provided to accept or reject these alterations. On the upper right-hand corner of the document, select Suggesting
- Add comments and tag others: Draw attention to comments added by tagging relevant individuals. When writing the comment, add a @ or + sign. An email will alert the tagged individuals of the comment made
- Add bookmarks: For long documents, bookmarks can be added meaning less scrolling. To add a bookmark, select Insert > Bookmark. A small bookmark item will be added to the edge of your document
- Revision history: Step back in time and return to an earlier version of the Google Docs document by going to File > See revision history. Click the version you want to revert to
Each Google Docs feature has been specifically tailored for you, the user, to give you the most beneficial experience. The question is: What are Google Doc’s fundamental benefits that these features expand upon?
Google Docs templates: The benefits of Google Docs
As voiced by Peter Block, an American author, when it comes to business, why do anything that cannot be defined as great?
Putting Google Docs in the spotlight, we ask you the below questions to deduce the app’s greatness…
- Have you struggled to gain access to documents when working with multiple workstations, mobile devices, and laptops?
- Are your spreadsheets and documents shared within teams of people?
- Is constant collaboration and feedback a priority within your team?
- Do you ask for feedback on projects from people around the globe?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then Google Docs is a great solution for you. The benefits lying at the core of this platform tackle the above situations and issues head-on. As indicated by TrackVia, I have detailed 5 of these core benefits below:
- Version control : Controlling which document version your team works on is a huge asset for your company. You can add and remove collaborators whilst editing who can make changes to a document. Multiple users can enter, edit and evaluate one document at a time. This creates a collaborative platform that augments teamwork.
- Easy to learn : If you have experience with other word processing platforms, then you will find Google Docs a breeze. Especially now you have an insight into some of the platform’s top features and functionalities – mentioned above .
- Free : This one is pretty self-explanatory. Google Docs is free.
- Import/Export flexibility : Say good-bye to error messages and incompatibility issues. Most file types can be imported and exported from Google Docs. This gives you the flexibility you need to send and receive files within and outside of your team.
- Accessibility : Working remotely, I have a new-found appreciation of the concept: accessibility. With Google Docs, you and your colleagues can collaborate over a coffee, working across two continents. Boundaries are erased. With a strong internet connection, you can access files from teams everywhere. Pretty impressive huh?
All in all, Google Docs comes into its own when creating, editing and collaborating on documents across the globe. As a business tool, Google Docs can propel the productivity of your business operations. Furthermore, you can use Process Street to drive the creation of your documents. Doing this, you will construct an all-in-one integrated, collaborative, productive process for free. Let me show you how.
Integrate Process Street with Google Docs for an all-in-one collaborative and productive process
In this example, I will work from Process Street’s Hotel Sustainability Audit template, part of our Hotel Management template pack.
At the end of our Hotel Sustainability Audit template, a report is produced detailing your results. You are presented with the option to export this report as a Google Docs .doc file, or other file type of your choice. By doing so, you can utilize two tools – Process Street and Google Docs – and reap the benefits they bring, in one swift, quick click.
In this case, an effective, efficient and productive audit process has been run with the help of Process Street. The audit report has then been exported from Process Street to Google Docs for sharing, team edits, and collaboration.
If you would like to learn more about auditing, check out of free and informative articles below:
- Audit Procedures: A Quick Tour with 19 (Free) Templates
- Audit Process: 5 Expert Steps for You to Get Your Audit Right
- Operational Audit: Best Practices Used by the Experts
- Financial Audits: A Quick Guide with Free Templates
- ISO 19011:2018 Basics (8 Free Management System Audit Checklists)
- What is an ISO Audit? Free ISO 9000 Self-Audit Checklist (ISO 9004:2018)
Below I have detailed the 8-stepped process to how this automation between Process Street and Google Docs has been created, using the Hotel Sustainability Audit as an example. This automation has been set up using Zapier.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 1
Re-open a blank version of the Hotel Sustainability Audit. Click on the Edit Template option on the right-hand side of the screen. Once you have opened the Edit Template view, go to the Your Report task and copy and paste the entire text into a new Google Docs document as above.
Name this document and save it. When the Zap has been created using Zapier, all the relevant information from your final report will populate the form fields in this document.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 2
Set up a Zapier account here, and click on Make a Zap. Select Process Street as your Trigger application. By doing this, you will then be able to access the Hotel Sustainability Audit template from your Process Street account in the next steps.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 3
Select New Task Checked as the trigger task. When a new task is checked in the Hotel Sustainability Audit template, a response will be triggered in Zapier.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 4
Make sure to select the Hotel Sustainability Audit template and the Export the Report task. Then test to see if the trigger works.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 5
Choose an appropriate action app. The Hotel Sustainability Audit report is to export as a new Google Docs document. Google Docs our action application.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 6
Select Create a Document from Template as the action step. This will create a Google Docs document from the Hotel Sustainability Audit template.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 7
Edit the new document. Insert the fields from your completed Hotel Sustainability Audit template. This will pull the information from this template and populate the linked Google Docs document.
Integrating Process Street with Google Docs: Step 8
Your final report should come through to your Google Drive as a new document. The information in the Google Docs document report should match the information in your final report created in the Hotel Sustainability Audit template.
And that’s it. Your automation is set up. Your checklist can be run time and time again, with the automation unchanging. From Zapier, all you have to do is turn the automation on or off when required.
To re-cap what we have covered so far, we have:
- Run through a 3-step process to set up a basic understanding of how to use the Google Docs platform
- Identified Google Doc’s core features, enabling you to obtain true value from Google Docs
- Identified the benefits Google Docs can bring to your business
- Found out how to integrate your business processes with Google Docs using Zapier and Process Street
50 Google Docs templates
For ease, I have split these 50 templates into their relevant sections, and added a supplementary section on related process templates – so you’ll have everything you need to integrate the Google Docs templates with Process Street!
Google Docs templates for marketing
Top challenges for marketers include a lax marketing plan, an unsupported brand image, and a poor professional reputation. Conquering the branding issues, for instance, has been shown to increase revenue by 25%. This demonstrates the extent to which marketing shortfalls can blockade business progression. To help you overcome these marketing challenges you can use our top marketing Google Docs templates, that have been included below.
Google Docs template #1: Digital marketing template
Google Docs template #2: Simple marketing template
Google Docs template #3: Corporate business card template
Google Docs template #4: Minimalist business card template
Google Docs template #5: Transparent business card template
Google Docs template #6: Basic business card template
Google Docs template #7: Purple tri-fold brochure template
Google Docs template #8: Business tri-fold brochure template
Google Docs template #9: Modern brochure template
Google Docs templates #10: Creative magazine template
Google Docs template #11: Newsletter template
Google Docs template #12: Retail newsletter template
Google Docs template #13: Marketing book cover template
Google Docs template #14: Produce promotion flyer template
Process templates for marketing
Integrate the above Google Docs templates with Process Street’s Marketing processes to meet all of your marketing needs.
- AB Testing
- Ari Meisel’s How to Develop a Content Distribution Machine Guide
- Blog Idea Processing Checklist
- Blog Pre-Publish Checklist
- Content Promotion Checklist
- Creating a Newsletter
- Newsletter Template Process
- Peer-Editing Checklist for Bloggers
- The Ultimate Blog Post Editing Checklist
- Updating Old Blog Content for SEO (Checklist)
Google Docs templates for finance
Inaccurate, incomplete financial documentation in business is a substantial business cost, expressed in the millions. In this vein, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) imposed penalties above $1.43 million in 2018. Using a Google Docs template for your financial documents can safeguard these documents from fraudulent and negligent activity.
Google Docs template #15: Professional invoice template
Google Docs template #16: Basic invoice template
Google Docs template #17: (Another) basic invoice template
Google Docs template #18: Delivery invoice template
Google Docs templates #19: Business budget template
Process templates for finance
Integrate the above Google Docs templates with Process Street’s related processes to meet all of your financial process needs.
- Income (Profit and Loss) Statement Process
- Investor Pitch
- ISA Audit Checklist
- Purchase of a Business
- Annual Financial Report Template
- Financial Audit Checklist
- Financial Plan Template
- Financial Planning Process
Google Docs templates for HR
Developing your HR department into an effectual team that supports your employees can be a challenge. Ensuring your HR department is recognizing your employees’ hard work is the first step. Consistent employee recognition has been shown to improve employee engagement by 30%. With that said, the below Google Docs templates will help you deliver this first step.
Google Docs template #20: Employee appreciation
Google Docs template #21: Project manager certificate template
Google Docs template #22: Business certificate template
Google Docs template #23: Certificate of experience template
Google Docs template #24: Professional experience certification template
Process templates for HR
Integrate the above Google Docs templates with Process Street’s HR-related processes to meet your HR-related process needs.
- Accountant Job Description Template
- Call Center Employee Onboarding Checklist
- Code of Conduct Policy Adherence Process
- Copywriter Job Description Template
- Customer Service Manager Job Description Template
- Customer Service Representative Job Description Template
- Editor Job Description Template
- Employee Onboarding Checklist
- HR Manager Job Description Template
- ISO-9000 Structure Template
- IT Manager Job Description Template
- Job Description Template
- Marketing Manager Job Description Template
- Performance Management
- Receptionist Job Description Template
- Sales Manager Job Description Template
- Web Designer Job Description Template
- Web Developer Job Description Template
Google Docs templates for management
Management of any business activity is tricky. Despite this, excess management is costing the U.S. economy $3 trillion a year. It isn’t a case of pumping more managers into the mix to solve your managerial shortfalls. It is about implementing effectual management strategies. Below are some Google Docs templates to help you do just this.
Google Docs template #25: Consulting agreement template
Google Docs template #26: Business process manual template
Google Docs template #27: Annual board meeting template
Google Docs template #28: Project proposal template
Google Docs templates #29: Sales quote template
Google Docs template #30: Training proposal template
Google Docs templates #31: Software development template
Google Docs template #32: Weekly calendar template
Google Docs template #33: Monthly calendar template
Google Docs template #34: Project timeline template
Google Docs template #35: Project tracking template
Google Docs template #36: Gantt Chart template
Google Docs template #37: Business management book cover template
Process templates for management
Integrate the above Google Docs templates with Process Street’s management-related processes to meet your management-related process needs.
- GRI Standards 101: Foundation 2016 Checklist Template
- GRI Standards 102: General Disclosure 2016 Checklist Template
- GRI Standards 103: Management Approach 2016 Checklist Template
- ISO 14001 EMS Structure Template
- Environmental Management System (EMS) Implementation Checklist Template
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management Self Audit Checklist
- ISO 19011 Management Systems Audit Checklist
- ISO 26000 Social Responsibility Performance Assessment Checklist
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management System (ISO27K ISMS) Audit Checklist
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Audit Checklist
- ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Integrated Management System (IMS) Checklist
- ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklist for Quality Management Systems
- Risk Management Process
- Diversity Management Monthly Audit
- Environmental Accounting Internal Audit
- Firewall Audit Checklist
- Google Analytics Audit
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management Self Audit Checklist
- ISO 19011 Management Systems Audit Checklist
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management System (ISO27K ISMS) Audit Checklist
- ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Audit Checklist
- Laboratory Safety Procedure Audit
- Network Security Audit Checklist
- PPC Audit Checklist
- SQL Server Audit Checklist
- Technical SEO Audit
- UX Audit
Google Docs templates for freelancers & personal use
We at Process Street strive to provide business assistance at all levels. That is, from the top end of a business – looking to improve financial and management processes – right down to the personal level. When you consider statistics such as 21% of employees are unsatisfied and unengaged at work, you know something needs to be done.
Below we have provided Google Docs templates to help personnel communicate their ambitions and career needs effectively. This will pair up the right candidate with the right job.
Google Docs template #38: Basic resume template
Google Docs template #39: White-blue resume template
Google Docs template #40: Light-dark resume template
Google Docs template #41: The clean CV template
Google Docs template #42: Smart and professional resume template
Google Docs template #43: Laconique resume template
Google Docs template #44: Infographic resume template
Google Docs template #45: Circle-pattern resume template
Google Docs template #46: Professional visual template
Google Docs template #47: Minimalist infographics resume template
Google Docs template #48: Crisp and clean cover letter template
Google Docs template #49: Contemporary cover letter template
Google Docs template #50: Minimalist cover letter template
Process templates for freelancers & personal use
Integrate the above Google Docs templates with Process Street’s related processes to meet your personal business career needs.
- Self-Evaluation Performance Review Template
- SMART Goal Setting Checklist
- How to Backup your External Hard Drives using Google Drive [CHECKLIST]
Integrate Process Street + Google Docs to run smooth and efficient processes
Run efficient and productive processes by combining Process Street with the above Google Docs templates.
Remember Google Docs is not a process management tool. The true value of Google Docs is realized when integrated within your business processes. To do this, you need Process Street.
If you are new to Process Street, and still a little unsure about what it is we do, check out our Monthly Webinar: An Introduction to Process Street below, for further insight.
In summary, Process Street is superpowered checklists.
As you already know, Process Street is a Business Process Management tool, used to manage your business operations. Process management is achieved by using checklists. Our checklists are not, however, ordinary checklists.
Our checklists are special.
Our checklists are superpowered.
Our checklists have functional features that I have detailed below:
- Stop tasks to ensure task order
- Dynamic due dates, so no deadline is missed
- Conditional logic, creating a dynamic template that caters to your needs
- Role assignments, to ease task delegation within your team
- Approvals, to sign tasks off within your team. Tasks can be assessed by the relevant team member/s. The assigned approver can easily open the checklist. Information from the tasks is then used to either approve or reject, or reject with a comment.
With these features, Process Street’s checklists are dynamite when it comes to managing your business operations.
Once more, you can integrate Process Street with many different applications, not just Google Drive. Take the time to think about that for a moment…
That is a very ummmmmm thing to think about, all of those automations to be created. Each automation tailored to your specific business process needs. Automations that will save you both time and money.
For more information regarding Process Street integrations, visit our Integrations Help Site. Additionally, you can watch the below video explaining workflow automation in Process Street.
Enjoy your Process Street + Google Docs integrated workflows
In this article, we have seen how easy it to integrate your business processes with Google Docs templates. By using Process Street and our checklists you can create well-oiled, dynamic, adaptable and refined business processes that automatically create Google Docs documents. This is a real good example of technology driving productivity improvements, making your life easier and saving you time.
What are you waiting for?
…and let’s get automating!
Do you use Google Docs templates regularly? Have you tried automating Google Drive with Process Street? If not, why not? Please comment if you have any questions, or would like to share your experiences. We would love to hear from you. Who knows you may even get featured in an upcoming article