Whether you’re starting a business or trying to improve an existing one, you have to understand how things are going to get done.
What tasks do you need to do? Who needs to do them? What are the best ways to approach these tasks?
Working out how these questions can be answered is the first step toward systemizing your business. The creation of processes and workflows will define the way in which your day to day activities function.
One popular approach to this is the creation of standard operating procedures. The simple definition provided by IBM for standard operating procedures is:
…a set of instructions that describes all the relevant steps and activities of a process or procedure.
But how do we create these SOPs? What we need are standard operating procedures for creating standard operating procedures – and some standard operating procedure software. And that’s what we’re going to give you.
We’ll look at:
- How to create a set of standard operating procedures
- Some advanced techniques for improving your SOPs
- Why Process Street is a useful tool for both mapping and following your standard operating procedures
Read through these sections to get clued up:
- Use Process Street to manage your standard operating procedures
- Writing standard operating procedures: a quick how-to guide
- Step 1: Understand how you are going to present your SOPs
- Step 2: Gather the relevant stakeholders
- Step 3: Work out your purpose
- Step 4: Determine the structure of your SOP
- Step 5: Prepare the scope of the procedure
- Step 6: Use a consistent style
- Step 7: Use correct notation, if applicable
- Step 8: Work out all the necessary steps of the process
- Step 9: Try to assess potential problems in the process
- Step 10: Determine metrics against which the SOPs can be judged
- Step 11: Test the process
- Step 12: Send the process to superiors
- Step 13: Clarify the method of optimizing the process
- Step 14: Run a risk assessment on your process
- Step 15: Consider creating a flow diagram
- Step 16: Finalize and implement the SOPs
- Examples of Process Street’s fully-written and usable SOPs
- Ensure your SOPs adhere to ISO standards