How do you feel about your life?
A deep question to kick-off this article, especially considering we hardly know each other. However, when it comes to self-care and designing a self-care plan, it is a question of great significance.
According to the 2018 Organization for Economic Cooperations and Development (OECD) report, 18% of U.S. citizens live in relative income poverty, despite a general trend of citizens working longer and longer hours. In addition, factors such as housing affordability, household wealth, and overcrowding rate are showing signs of consistent deterioration.
It doesn’t take an expert to infer that these trends aren’t improving the average life-quality. As such, the 2019 World Happiness Report ranked the U.S. 19th, a decline from previous surveys.
To jump to the point, over the past ~10 years, U.S. citizens have become less, and less happy.
A concerning trend that diminishes societal resilience to crises, as we witnessed with COVID-19.
Something needs to be done!
Swinging for change to steer those depressing trends around, the team here at Process Street have created quality, effective and actionable free self-care resources, ready for you to hop in and use right away.
Use our self-care checklists as part of your own personal self-care journey, or distribute these checklists throughout your team to create strong, employee-focused organizational support.
These resources are carefully crafted, drawing from novel and up-to-date research into human happiness, indicating the best habits and self-care behaviors you should adopt for a better quality of life. Check out our Daily Self-Care Checklist below for a taster.
Click here to access our Daily Self-Care Checklist!
Click on the links provided below to jump to the relevant template.
- Daily Self-Care Checklist
- Annual Self-Care Planner
- Morning Routine Checklist
- Evening Routine Checklist
- Tony Robbins: Morning Routine
- Achieving a Work-Life Balance
- Backpacking Checklist
- Camping Checklist
- Travel Checklist
- Big Personality Test (Structure Template)
- DISC Assessment (Structure Template)
- Budget Template
- Daily Budget Template
- Daily Routine Checklist
- Daily Schedule Template
- Fitness Planner
- Lisa A. Romano: Overcoming Negative Self-Talk
- Self-Evaluation Performance Review Template
- SMART Goal Setting Checklist
- Weekly Meal Planner
- Work Anxiety Resolution Checklist
- KonMari Checklist
To begin this article, we will explain what a self-care plan is and the perks that come from having one. We will explain how you can design a personal and printable self-care plan that will give you benefits such as improved productivity, enhanced self-esteem, better physical and emotional health, and all-in-all a better life quality.
There is nothing to lose, so what are you waiting for?
Click on the relevant subheader below to jump to that section. Alternatively, scroll down to find out how you can be happier and improve your wellbeing.
- Self-care plan: What it is and why it is important
- 22 free self-care checklists
- Use Process Street to devise an effective, personal, and printable self-care plan
Let’s set a new trend, for a happier and healthier society.
Self-care plan: What it is and why it is important
A self-care plan is an intentionally constructed guide to promote individual health and wellbeing. The plan uses the notion that humans are life-long learners and assists the user to build the required knowledge, skills, and attitudes to support their wellbeing.
For instance, check out our Annual Self-Care Planner given below. This is an example of a self-care plan operating over an annual time-frame. Our Annual Self-Care Planner draws from the most recent scientific research to define 20 dimensions, that when improved upon, enrich an individual’s life.
As you run through the Annual Self-Care Planner, you will document healthy habits to improve areas of your life that are important to you. This could mean spending more time with family, exercising more, or getting out in nature.
These habits and the impact they have on your wellbeing is personal. Running through this Self-Care Planner yearly means you can play around with different habits to see what works for you and what habits are more significant for improving your life quality.
Click here to access our Annual Self-Care Planner!
Self-care plan benefits
When thinking about the benefits that come from using a self-care plan, these may initially seem self-explanatory. I mean, who wouldn’t want to improve their wellbeing and life-quality?
With that said, there are some less-obvious advantages to consider:
- Productivity increases: A self-care plan improves your self-awareness. With that, you can start saying no to tasks that over-extend you, giving you more time for what matters. This brings your goals into sharper focus. Also the correlation between happiness and productivity has long been studied and acknowledged. Happier people are more productive.
- Greater resistance to disease: Improved happiness and wellbeing are linked to a lower number of sick days. The evidence suggests a causal effect between increased subjective well-being and a lower number of sick days.
- Improved physical health: Better physical health is associated with improved well-being, life quality, and happiness. A self-care plan improves an individual’s physical health by encouraging the adoption of healthy habits.
- Better self-esteem: Taking better care of your health and wellness will positively affect your overall approach to life and how you see yourself. With higher self-esteem, you view yourself as deserving. With lower self-esteem, thoughts of not being good enough plague and limit your personal development.
- Increased self-knowledge: Practicing self-care means thinking about what it is you want to do. It is a continual process that works on trial-and-error to find the things that you enjoy and are passionate about. It could even spark a career change.
- Give more: It is a catch-22. A self-care plan enhances happiness and life quality. Happier people give more, and that in itself causes increased happiness. Causal links have also been found between increased happiness and social capital, inferring happier people are better citizens.
The self-care wheel for wellbeing support
A self-care wheel is a proactive tool used for empowerment, to increase contentment and life satisfaction. The wheel represents the various aspects of self-care, which are: Psychological, emotional, spiritual, personal, professional, and physical wellness.
These are mutually interdependent dimensions. Neglect of one will, over time, adversely impact the others, and ultimately one’s health, well-being, and quality of life. The balance of these dimensions is however personal and does not have to be equal.
- Physical wellness: Physical wellness is not merely the absence of illness, but it is about maintaining a thriving lifestyle. These areas include adopting healthy habits such as routine medical exams, immunizations, a balanced diet, and regular exercise. It is about discovering the health habits that make you feel better and suit your lifestyle.
- Social wellness: Social wellness includes actively improving your community, connecting with others, establishing supportive social networks, developing meaningful relationships, and creating safe and inclusive spaces.
- Emotional wellness: Emotional wellness is about self-esteem, self-acceptance, and the ability to cope with feelings in an independent and interpersonal manner. Emotional wellness includes finding unique ways of coping with stressors, creating satisfying relationships, empathizing with others, and knowing when it is okay to ask for help.
- Intellectual wellness: Intellectual wellness encourages engagement in mentally stimulating and creative activities. It is about thinking critically, reasoning objectively, and exploring new ideas and different points of view.
- Vocational wellness: Vocational wellness is being involved in personally satisfying and life-enriching work, that aligns with your goals, values, and lifestyle.
- Environmental wellness: Environmental wellness invites us to live a lifestyle that is respectful to our surroundings, recognizing our responsibility to keep our planet healthy.
- Financial wellness: Financial wellness looks at our relationship with money. It is about individuals living within their financial means, making informed financial decisions and investments, setting realistic goals, and learning to plan for short-term and long-term needs or emergencies. It is also the recognition that everyone’s financial values, needs, and circumstances are unique.
- Spiritual wellness: Spirituality involves seeking a meaningful purpose in life and behaving in a way that is consistent with one’s beliefs and values. Spiritual wellbeing is also about expressing compassion towards others, practicing gratitude, self-love, and reflection.
Our 22 self-care checklists have been designed with the 8 dimensions of wellness in mind.
Creating your self-care plan: Making it personal to you
You can adapt any one of Process Street’s self-care checklists to make them personal to you and your needs. For more information on how you can edit templates, watch our below video: Basics of Creating and Editing Templates.
Process Street is superpowered checklists.
As such, our self-care checklists are interactive, dynamic, and adaptable machines.
For example, in our Morning Routine Checklist, you can set a due date to enforce the completion of this checklist in as little as 6 minutes.
Once more, with any-one of our templates, you have an online and printable self-care plan at your fingertips.
We have more template resources you can incorporate as part of your self-care journey, the details of which have been provided below. Using these templates, you will come to make use of our powerful feature set, which includes (but is not limited to):
- Stop tasks to ensure task order,
- Conditional logic, creating a dynamic template that caters to your needs,
- Role assignments, to ease task delegation within your team,
- Approvals, allowing decision-makers to give the go-ahead (or rejection) on important items. Also, the necessary comments can be provided.
For more information about Process Street and what we offer, watch our below webinar: An Introduction to Process Street.
22 free self-care checklists
So far we have discussed the 8 dimensions of wellness. We have highlighted the benefits that come from developing a self-care plan. Next, I present you with our 22 top, free, self-care checklists, all uniquely designed to help you improve your wellbeing.
Daily Self-Care Checklist
Run our Self-Care Checklist to look after your mind and body daily. This checklist is short and simple, meaning you can jump in and out of it on a daily basis, encouraging the adoption of healthy lifestyle habits in your day.
Our Self-Care Checklist has been designed to work in tandem with our Annual Self-Care Planner, our Morning Routine Checklist, and our Evening Routine Checklist.
Click here to access our Daily Self-Care Checklist!
Annual Self-Care Planner
Use our Annual Self-Care Planner throughout the year to incorporate good habits into your lifestyle for increased happiness, wellness, productivity, and to help you attain your goals.
Our Annual Self-Care Planner has been designed to work together with our Morning Routine Checklist, Evening Routine Checklist and our Daily Self-Care Checklist.
Click here to access our Annual Self-Care Planner!
Morning Routine Checklist
Our Morning Routine Checklist can be run in as little as 6 minutes, creating a quick, perfect start to your day. Begin your morning practicing gratitude, meditation, and exercise to stimulate the production of feel-good hormones, setting your day rolling on the right foot.
Again our Morning Routine Checklist has been created to be used in tandem with our Self-Care Planner, our Self-Care Checklist, and our Evening Routine Checklist.
Click here to access our Morning Routine Checklist!
Evening Routine Checklist
Our Evening Routine Checklist can be run in as little as 7 minutes, creating a quick and perfect end to your day. Use this checklist to incorporate relaxing habits to fuel a great night’s sleep, so you can wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
Our Evening Routine Checklist is to be used along with our Daily Self-Care Checklist, Morning Routine Checklist, and our Annual Self-Care Planner.
Click here to access our Evening Routine Checklist!
Tony Robbins: Morning Routine
Adopt a morning routine like Tony Robbins. Author, public speaker, life coach, and philanthropist, Tony Robbins is a busy man. Yet he still makes time to incorporate good, healthy habits into his life.
Start your day with a nutritious breakfast, a workout, and morning meditation to get your body and mind in an optimal state to start your day.
Click here to access our Tony Robbins: Morning Routine checklist!
Achieving a Work-Life Balance Checklist
26% of work is completed outside normal working hours. This isn’t conducive to a healthy work-life balance. Use this Achieving Work-Life Balance Checklist when you want to equilibrate your working obligations and your personal lifestyle needs.
Click here to access our Work-Life Balance Checklist!
A dimension of self-care is about having fun and incorporating more adventure into your life. Use our Backpacking Checklist to prepare a backpacking escapade to last from a few weeks to a few months.
Click here to access our Backpacking Checklist!
Camping is an excellent way to get out into nature, spend time with friends and family, exercise, and have an adventure. If you are going camping for a few days or even a few weeks, you need to make sure you have the right equipment with you. Use this Camping Checklist as you plan your next camping trip.
Click here to access our Camping Checklist!
Run through our Travel Checklist whenever you’re planning to travel somewhere. Travel is an important part of self-care, broadening your mind, creating a source of adventure, and can also be wonderfully relaxing.
Click here to access our Travel Checklist!
Big Personality Test (Structure Template)
Self-care is about self-reflection, to understand yourself, your wants, and your needs. Use this Big Five Personality Test (Structure Template) to build your own Big Five Personality Test (Structure Template) in Process Street. By understanding yourself and your personality better, you can create good habits and goals based on this.
Click here to access our Big Five Personality Test (Structure Template)!
DISC Assessment (Structure Template)
Our DISC Assessment (Structure Template) is a personal assessment tool used to improve work productivity, teamwork, leadership, sales, and communication. DISC assessments are designed to measure your personality and behavioral style based on the following measures:
- Dominance: Drest, strong-willed and forceful,
- Influence: Sociable, talkative and lively,
- Steadiness: Gentle, accommodating and soft-hearted,
- Conscientiousness: Private, analytical, and logical.
Your DISC assessment results are then used to adjust your career goals.
Click here to access our DISC Assessment (Structure Template)!
Being on top of your finances is an important part of self-care, to manage your spending so that you save for what’s important. Use our Budget Template to help you identify your monthly spending targets, to be used in conjunction with our Daily Budget Template given below.
Click here to access our Budget Template!
Daily Budget Template
Our Daily Budget Template is designed to be used alongside our Budget Template. This template allows you to monitor your daily spending and takes no time at all to complete.
Click here to access our Daily Budget Template!
Daily Routine Checklist
Run through our Daily Routine Checklist every day to stick to your targets and get the most out of each day. By sticking to a daily routine checklist you can vastly increase your productivity whilst finding the time to do things you love and see the people most important to you.
Click here to access our Daily Routine Checklist!
Daily Schedule Template
Plan your day in advance using our Daily Schedule Template. At the end of each day, you can click on the run link to begin the next day’s checklist. In an allocated half an hour, you can decide and fill in the tasks for the next day in a new checklist. Using this checklist will help you realize your goals and set healthy habits.
Click here to access our Daily Schedule Template!
Our Fitness Planner checklist can be run weekly to plan and execute your fitness routine. The benefits of exercise for wellbeing and as part of your self-care journey have long been acknowledged. In our Fitness Planner, you’ll find a sample weekly workout routine covering a 3-days-on-1-day-off schedule.
Click here to access our Fitness Planner checklist!
Lisa A. Romano: Overcoming Negative Self-Talk
We all face the struggles of negative self-talk on a daily basis. Negative thoughts are inescapable, and so we must recognize them and rather than trying to escape them, direct our efforts to acknowledge them for what they are – just thoughts.
Lisa A. Romano is a life coach and a bestselling author specializing in helping people take control of their lives, and re-frame their thought processes to be positive, optimistic, and self-fulfilling. Use our Lisa A. Romano: Overcoming Negative Self-Talk checklist to manage your negative emotions proactively.
Click here to access our Lisa A. Romano: Overcoming Negative Self-Talk checklist!
Self-Evaluation Performance Review Template
Launch our Self-Evaluation Performance Review Template whenever your manager asks you to complete a self-evaluation performance review. By running through this checklist, you can track your career performance, and access your current vocational goals and wellness against set targets.
Click here to access our Self-Evaluation Performance Review Template!
SMART Goal Setting Checklist
Self-care is about sticking to new, healthier habits with the aim of achieving your goals. Use our SMART Goal Setting Checklist to implement the SMART method for setting achievable goals, covering all bases, and leaving no room for misunderstanding.
Click here to access our SMART Goal Setting Checklist!
Weekly Meal Planner
Eating healthy is vital to look after your physical health. Use our Weekly Meal Planner checklist to plan your weekly diet and stick to it. Live a healthy eating lifestyle and save money. It is a win-win situation.
Click here to access our Weekly Meal Planner checklist!
Work Anxiety Resolution Checklist
93% of Americans say they experience anxiety at work. Stress at work can easily lead to work anxiety – a type of anxiety that is fueled by thoughts or actions related to work. Run our Work Anxiety Resolution Checklist to tackle work-related anxiety, to feel better, and to enhance life quality.
Click here to access our Work Anxiety Resolution Checklist!
Use this KonMari Checklist to implement the KonMari Method for decluttering your home of unnecessary belongings efficiently and effectively. A truly tidy home gives mental health benefits, encourages productivity, and provides inhabitants with an all-around cleaner space.
Click here to access The KonMari Checklist!
Use Process Street to devise an effective, personal, and printable self-care plan
Self-care is vital for maintaining wellness, enhancing your life quality and helping you achieve your goals. In this article, you are given access to a host of free template resources, designed to enrich your life.
For more information on self-care, check out the resources below:
- Coronavirus Workplace Processes: 8 Checklists From Top World Health Experts
- 8 Simple Steps to Get More Out of your Time
- How to Be Productive: Use a Powerful Productivity System
- 42 Productivity Hacks to Work Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
- Working From Home: Staying Productive in Troubling Times (Free Templates)
- EAP Program: How to Keep Employees Safe, Secure, and Stable (Free Templates)
- Employee Assistance Program: How To Treat Your Team With Humanity
- 60+ Essential HR Processes for All Human Resource Teams (Free!)
- HR Best Practices: What They Are and How You Can Implement Them
- Burn out: How I Beat It, and How You Can Too
- Don’t Micromanage: How It Destroys Your Team and How to Avoid It
- Employee Engagement: How to Get a Happy, Productive Team
How do you implement self-care in your life? What tools and strategies do you use? We would love to hear from you so please comment below. Who knows, you may even get featured in an upcoming article!
Thanks for the checklists! It’s probably strange, but filling them out not only makes me more disciplined but also motivates me.